Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Baby #2 - 39-40 Weeks



Well, you guys, my due date has come and gone. And with it, most of my brain cells. Can you spot the mistake that took me a whole day to notice? Yep. I misspelled the word forty. I taught spelling and math for 11 years and misspelled forty. And walked past the chalkboard a hundred times (admiring my work each time, btw) before I picked up the mistake at around 9pm. And I'm way too over it to redo the board. So there ya go.
#babybrainisreal #iamanidiot

Anyway, baby brain aside, things have been pretty status quo around here. At my 39 week appointment, the word induction was sprung on me with a crazy urgency due to my age. I've been 40 for about 5 minutes, and this was the first I was hearing about the dangers of delivering after the due date when you are of advanced maternal age. My pregnancy has been pretty healthy and uneventful, with the exception of the diabetes "scare", so when words like "stillborn" and "failing placenta" get thrown around, you start to panic. Which I totally did. Induction was not on my to do list, having heard about horrible experiences from friends, but I was in a panic about what could maybe happen if I didn't let myself get hooked up to the Pitocin ASAP. But after speaking with the Hubs, my mom, and another OB from the practice, I was told it would be fine to wait another week to see if things got rolling on their own. They did not. Obviously. 

So today, I went in for my 40 week check, along with another ultrasound and a non-stress test. Everything with baby boy looks good, about 8lbs 10 oz (give or take), we even got a peek of him sucking his thumb. He certainly looks swished in there, but in no rush to make his way out. I'll spare you the dilation and effacement details, cuz...gross, but I will tell you that things are progressing, just not fast enough for this old broad. So tomorrow morning, we make our way to the hospital to begin the induction. Here's hoping it goes easily and quickly, but not so quickly that I can't get the epidural. Just cuz my body was made for this, doesn't mean I want to feel it. 

I'm definitely excited to meet our little man, but feeling a wee bit nervous for the whole induction process. Fear of the unknown and all that. Focusing on the positive...tomorrow we get to see that sweet face and become a family of four!!




No comments:

Post a Comment