Sunday, June 14, 2015

Toddler Road-Tripping Must-Haves

This past week, Z, Scout and I packed into our trusty VW and headed south for the 13 hour haul to Florida. My mom had surgery recently (and is doing great!), and with my step-dad headed out of town for work, she needed help with their 500 year old yellow lab while she recovered. 
I will admit, I was super nervous about driving solo with the kid and the dog. Not that Scout is much of a real issue, she's a great traveller, but I'm not so keen on leaving her in the car this time of year. Which means no Cracker Barrel breakfasts and no Moe's for lunch. Bummer. 
The real dilemma...how am I gonna keep Z happy for the loooonnnngggg drive on I95? Well, leaving at 4:30am is helpful, a basket full of grab & go snacks and this cooler filled with things like water, yogurt pouches, and grapes on the passenger seat is also a big win. But having a few other things handy is essential.

#1. Mini Magna Doodle
#2. Sago Mini Apps for iPad - These are the greatest apps for littles! No in-app purchases, no need for WiFi, super intuitive for toddlers, cute, funny, and fun. Z loves both of these, and I'll admit that I do, too. In Forest Flyer, Z drags a little bird around the forest where she eats a cupcake, pops balloons, and visits friends. Every time she plays it, something new is discovered. Doodlecast is a fun doodle app that lets Z choose her "paper", pen-type, and colors. It then records the doodling (with sound if you enable your mic - great for older toddlers who tell a story as they draw) and plays it back. Both are definitely worth the $2.99.
#3. Jumbo Crayolas - These are pretty indestructible, so no crayon bits floating around the backseat. I gave Z a small baking sheet to use as a tray while we traveled, so she was able to lay out her crayons and color comfortably.


#4. Munchkin 360 Cup - No spills or drips!
#5. I bought this on a whim at a kids' consignment shop and the price was perfect...$6.00! I figured if it was played with for a just a week, I got my money's worth. Fast-forward two months and this Laugh & Learn Laptop has become a go-to favorite. Who knew?!
#6. We are big fans of these books, and have quite a few. There's lots to look at and talk about, and they hold Z's attention for more than two minutes. My First Numbers and My First Baby Animals are  Z's favorites right now.

We also used this toddler-sized air mattress when we got to my mom's house. Z has never been a great sleeper (especially on the road) and was never comfy in the pack-n-play, which meant that we always had to have her in bed with us. And that meant that we either had to keep her up till we were ready for bed, or we called it a night at 8pm. Neither was a great option, so I took a chance and ordered the air mattress. And hallelujah! The kid actually slept. And slept well. Every night and every nap. People, the bed is magic. Magic.

Z is under there somewhere, sleeping like a boss!

And now for a "Real Mommy Moment", because this was all sounding a little too awesome...And really the only major trouble we ran into while on the road...rest stops. Z is terrified of the bathrooms - too noisy for her sensitive ears. I can't blame her. But, after waiting through half of South Carolina and the entire state of Georgia to make a pit-stop (Z took and epic nap, so I waited for her to wake up), I pulled into the Florida Welcome Center excited for relief. Of course, I got a sweet parking spot right in front, but had no idea what a tourist attraction this place was. Z started screaming the minute I put her shoes on. She knew what we were there to do. I carried her up the sidewalk, kicking and screaming bloody murder, getting judgmental stares from teenage girls and old men. One sweet grandmotherly woman gave me a look that said, "We've all been there. Do what you gotta do." So I went into the bathroom, calmly cooing to Z as she screamed. She screamed the entire time. You know that scream your kid makes when they get shots at the doctor? It was like that, amplified and bouncing off the tile walls. Pure hell. She calmed down once we got Scout out of the car and went for a walk, but my goodness. What a nightmare!

We're planning another big road trip in August (this time with the Hubs), so I feel like we are pretty prepared. I have to say though, using the baking sheet was a huge life-saver. Z was able to eat in the car without making a huge mess, and she laid the iPad on it while she watched movies.
Any great must-haves on your road trip list?



No comments:

Post a Comment