Thursday, June 4, 2015

Giving Pinterest Play Dough a Go

Like most mommas, I am forever searching Pinterest for easy ideas to use with Z. We love artsy and hands-on activities, especially those using stuff I've already got around the house. Especially when we're on day two of rainy-caca weather. We spend time outside every day, so we both go a bit stir-crazy if we're stuck inside for too long.

A while back, I found this recipe for edible marshmallow play dough, pinned it, and forgot about it since I didn't have any marshmallows. Not too long ago, I picked up a bag to have on hand for s'mores, and thank goodness. Cuz today was one of those days when I needed something fun and new to do with the kiddo.

So here's what you need to make one toddler-sized ball of soft stretchy dough:


6 large marshmallows
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp coconut oil
food coloring (I used 6 drops)

It's really so easy. Put all of the ingredients in a bowl (I recommend one with taller sides since the marshmallows expand in the microwave) and zap in the microwave for 30 seconds.


Stir with a spoon until it clumps up into a ball. If it's still sticky, add more cornstarch.


Then, once it's cooled down a bit, roll, knead, and stretch the ball in your hands until the color is well blended, adding cornstarch when necessary.


In the end, the dough will feel a bit like if regular play dough and taffy had a baby. Stretchy and easy to mold.


I don't know about you, but I love simple stuff like this. Z was eager to help, snacking on a couple of marshmallows along the way. That was probably where I went wrong.


Once she knew what the dough was made of, she did more snacking than playing. She was so funny, pinching off little bites and making dramatic yummy sounds.


Every once and a while she'd press a cookie cutter into the dough, but mostly, it was all about sneaking bites.


Unfortunately, I eventually had to shut it down. I know...buzzkill. But, I was getting nervous that eating so much sugary play dough before nap time would ruin my afternoon. So, we took a few more bites and headed to the living room where Z pretended to mix, cook and eat puzzle pieces while we watched Despicable Me. 




It wasn't a total fail. I had fun playing with the marshmallow dough before we had to call it quits, and we both enjoyed eating the rest of it after nap time!

I've got plans to try other Pinterest play doughs, so I'll keep ya posted!

Headed to Florida in the wee hours of the morning-just me, Scout, and Z. Wish us luck...it's gonna be a looonnnnggg trip!!

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment