Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Halls Have Been Decked

Holy smokes! Christmas is just around the corner! We've been so busy around here, it feels like December is just flying by. I'd love it if December were 60 days long so that we could enjoy the season for twice as long. There are just too many holiday movies to watch and cookies to eat (not that I've had one second to bake any) for one little month.

I started decorating for Christmas the minute Thanksgiving was over. And we picked out a perfect tree for Z's first Christmas that weekend.




I've been keeping it simple with our holiday decor, partly because I'm kind of tired of some of my stuff, partly because we live in a thimble and too much clutter makes me crazay, and parlty because a curious little tuna I know is getting into everything.


And you know I couldn't resist putting up a little Christmas in the nursery.  It's a tradition in my family for the kids to have a little Christmas tree in their rooms. Each year you get a new ornament, and make some too, to add to it so that by the time you have your first tree as a grown up, you've got a nice collection of special ornaments. Our tree is lousy with ornaments from my childhood, which brings back so many memories each year when we decorate. I love carrying on that tradition with Z!


I couldn't wait to set up a little tree in Z's room at the first chance I got! She already has two ornaments to kick off her collection. The red and silver stars are a set from Target that we got to match the red on the big tree in the living room. I made a festive banner out of glittery scrapbook paper and baker's twine, and made a print for the dresser. With just a little more free time (bwahahahaaaa! free time!!! funny stuff!), Z's crib would probably be decked out in some kind of wash bunting or tinsel garland.



After much deliberation, we picked up the cutest stocking on sale at Pottery Barn Kids. We loved the Baby's First stockings, but wanted one that she could enjoy through the years. I think we found the perfect one! Since we bought it in-store, and not online, we couldn't get her name embroidered, so I made black felt letters to match our other stockings. Maybe someday I'll meet some fabulously talented person who can embroider all of our stockings, but for now, the felt DIY works.



Well, that's how things are lookin' around here. I'm hoping to score big at some post-Christmas sales. A holiday-themed pillow or two, or an advent calendar for next year. The next task on the agenda: some serious baking...if my little helper will let me!



1 comment:

  1. Such sweet photos… glad you have enjoyed your childhood ornaments through the years. It is a trip down memory lane. Zoey will love it too! Decorations look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete