Thursday, July 13, 2017

Beck's First Birthday

Before the Fourth, we celebrated Beck's first. I had plans, you guys. There were gonna be balloons, a cute cake for Beck to smash and cupcakes for the rest of us, an adorable, blog-worthy surfer motif. Gummy sharks were involved. It was gonna be great!
But...well...it didn't quite work out the way I had planned. Cuz does it ever?

t-shirt | shorts

We had family in town, who had blessedly offered to watch the kids so the Hubs and I could scoot off for lunch, something we NEVER do. Never. In fact, I think the last child-free meal we had in Virginia Beach went down a few days before Beck was born. A year ago. I made the cake and cupcakes before we left, with the plan to make the frosting that night. Damon and I had an amazing lunch with a gorgeous view. I may have even had an adult beverage with my meal. It was perfect. On the way home, we stopped by the party store and picked up the balloons. We felt so relaxed and productive, so relaxed that I completely flaked on the frosting. Oops! I'd get it done first thing in the morning.


The morning of the celebration, the balloons were on the floor (Damon raced across town to get replacements-at no charge), the frosting wouldn't set enough to pipe it on the cupcakes, let alone frost a cake (humidity?), I dropped and broke a chunk off the cake plate (third sign of birthday apocalypse?), and I spent so much time monkeying around with the frosting that I never got a chance to set up and finish decorating before Damon had to start grilling the Hawaiian burgers for lunch. (They were sooo good, btw.) I held it together for a long time, but finally let the frustration tears flow when it was time to frost the smash cake (the frosting had been chilling in the fridge for hours hoping it would set). I figured the cupcakes didn't matter that much, we could dip them in the frosting if it came down to it, but the smash cake is all about the pictures. And the frosting was basically oozing off of it.


It was a disaster, for sure, but when it came down to it, it all tasted great, and Beck had a ball tearing that oozy cake apart!






When our company left later in the afternoon, I was straightening up the kitchen and noticed...I never even put out the gummy sharks! Doh!



With everything going on, we didn't even get a great family pic. This is as good as it gets. Haha!


But my favorite part of the first birthday...seeing how much Little Man has grown!


Happy birthday, Beck!



No comments:

Post a Comment